About the Reference Linaro Confectionary Release for HiKey (Multi-arch 64-bit)
This Reference Linaro Confectionary Release is the first release for 96boards HiKey board,
it is based on the Marshmallow android-6.0.1_r22 branch. This build is a
userdebug variant build, which contains multi-arch support allowing full use of the
64-bit ARMv8-A architecture, supports both 64-bit and 32-bit applications,
and will run in permissive mode.
The kernel used for this build is based on the AOSP version 4.1 common kernel,
and includes the ARM Mali drivers for 3D graphics acceleration support.
The sources are built using AOSP gcc 4.9 version for both 64bit and 32bit.
The Android AOSP software provided in this release is functionally
tested with CTS version 6.0 R4 and the CTS results are shared with
members. We also added some benchmark test to observe the
performance trend in various fields.
Sources are also made available so you can build your own images
(see the Building from Source tab).
What is new
- Android source updated to base on android-6.0.1_r22 version
- Updated to use the AOSP hikey device configuration
- Updated to use CTS 6.0 R4 for test
The use of HiKey software is subject to the terms of the HiKey:
End User License Agreement.
Subscribe to the important Linaro mailing lists and join our IRC
channels to stay on top of Linaro development.
- Linaro Android Development ‘Mailing list’
- Linaro Android IRC channel on irc.freenode.net at #linaro-android
- Bug reports should be filed in ‘Bugzilla’ under “Linaro Android” product and “Member Linaro Confectionery Release (M-LCR)” component.
- You will need to login to your Linaro account. If you do not have an account or are having problems, email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
- More general bug reports should be filed in Bugzilla against the individual packages that are affected.
- Questions? ‘ask linaro’
- Interested in commercial support? inquire at ‘Linaro Support’
Known Issues and Limitations
- HDMI display has problems with some monitors
If this is the first time you use Hikey board, please reference here for the initial setup instructions:
Click on each link to download:
- userdata.img.tar.xz(for 8G board) or userdata-4gb.img.tar.xz(for 4G board)
Boot Hikey board to fastboot mode
Connect the Link 1-2 and Link 5-6 of the Jumper15 on your Hikey board,
Connect a standard microUSB to USB connector between the HiKey microUSB port
and your Linux PC. Connect the HiKey power supply to the board, and run
following command to check if the board is in fastboot mode:
$ sudo fastboot devices 0123456789abcdef fastboot $
Uncompress the downloaded .tar.xz files using your operating system file manager,
or with the following command for each file:
$ tar -Jxf [filename].tar.xz
Flash the uncompressed files into the Hikey board under fastboot mode with
$ fastboot flash boot boot_fat.img $ fastboot flash system system.img $ fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
Please use “userdata-4gb.img” if flash to a 4GB emmc version board.
Boot HiKey board with Android images
Connect the link 1-2, remove the link 3-4 and link 5-6 of the Jumper15 on your Hikey board,
connect the microUSB to you host pc, and plug in the power supply cable,
this will make your board boot the flashed android images by default.
You can use following command to check if the adb connection is connected:
$ adb devices List of devices attached 0123456789 device $
Linaro Android Source Code
Download the Android building script linaro_android_build_cmds.sh for this build
from the list of artifacts listed above, and run it.
This script will help to download the entire source code for both Android and
the kernel and attempt to build it.
Most commonly used options for linaro_android_build_cmds.sh:
$ ./linaro_android_build_cmds.sh -h #To print the script usage $ ./linaro_android_build_cmds.sh -t #To build from the tip of the branch without overlay $ ./linaro_android_build_cmds.sh -m <pinned_manifest> #To reproduce an exact build from pinned manifest
The pinned manifest(pinned-manifest.xml(?) and source manifest(source-manifest.xml) can be found from the list of artifacts
Compiling Linaro Android RootFS+Kernel
The following simple steps download, install and compile a complete Linaro Android distribution
- Download and install Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit or newer (download)
- Download the Android building script for this build from the list of artifacts
- Run the linaro_android_build_cmds.sh script downloaded, and answer the questions when promopted
These steps will generate the userdata.img for 8GB eMMC version by default,
if want to generate userdata.img for 4GB eMMC version by default, please
run following command first before run linaro_android_build_cmds.sh:
$ export TARGET_USERDATAIMAGE_4GB=true
Build from the tip of the source:
chmod a+x linaro_android_build_cmds.sh ./linaro_android_build_cmds.sh -t
Or reproduce the exactly the same as this buid:
chmod a+x linaro_android_build_cmds.sh ./linaro_android_build_cmds.sh -m pinned-manifest.xml
Installing Android to your HiKey Board
Following commands will flash the images into your HiKey board via the fastboot command.
$ sudo fastboot flash boot out/target/product/hikey/boot_fat.img $ sudo fastboot flash system out/target/product/hikey/system.img $ sudo fastboot flash userdata out/target/product/hikey/userdata.img