96Boards – CE Debian Reference Platform Build 15.10 – HiKey
- Build URL: https://ci.linaro.org/jenkins/job/96boards-reference-platform-debian/BOARD=hikey,label=docker-utopic-amd64/31/
- Kernel packages: https://builds.96boards.org/snapshots/reference-platform/components/linux/hikey/17
- ALIP Rootfs: http://snapshots.linaro.org/debian/images/alip-arm64/45
- Grub UEFI: http://builds.96boards.org/snapshots/reference-platform/components/grub/5
- ARM TF / EDK2 UEFI: http://builds.96boards.org/snapshots/reference-platform/components/uefi/14/release/hikey
This guide describes how to get started with the CE Debian Reference Platform Build, release 15.10, for HiKey.
For more information about the HiKey development board, please check https://www.96boards.org/products/ce/hikey/
The CE Debian RPB 15.10 – HiKey build is composed of the following artifacts:
- ARM Trusted Firmware, EDK2/UEFI and Grub2
- For more information about the reference bootloader used by HiKey, please check Reference-Bootloader-Hikey
- Pre-built files: http://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/debian/hikey/15.10/bootloader
- Linux Kernel:
- Upstream plus extra changes for a better hardware support
- Git: https://github.com/rsalveti/linux.git
- Branch: reference-hikey-rebase
- Debian “Jessie”
- ALIP (LXDE based)
- Custom 96Boards artworks and default settings
- Additional packages provided by linaro-overlay
- Kernel and initrd loaded from the rootfs (under /boot)
Closed source binaries
The following components requires a closed source binary for better hardware support:
- TI wlan firmware (
- Git: http://git.ti.com/wilink8-wlan/wl18xx_fw
- Branch: R8.6
- Extra firmware files available from firmware-linux
- Mali (not yet included by default)
Downloading the pre-built binaries
The build is mainly composed by two image files (boot and rootfs), but to avoid incompatibilities issues with older bootloaders, or different partition tables, it’s also recommended to flash the bootloader.
Flashing and booting from the external SD Card is not supported by this release.
wget http://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/debian/hikey/15.10/bootloader/l-loader.bin wget http://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/debian/hikey/15.10/bootloader/fip.bin wget http://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/debian/hikey/15.10/bootloader/ptable-linux.img wget http://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/debian/hikey/15.10/bootloader/hisi-idt.py
CE Debian RPB image:
wget https://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/debian/hikey/15.10/hikey-boot-linux-20151106-31.uefi.img.gz wget https://builds.96boards.org/releases/reference-platform/debian/hikey/15.10/hikey-rootfs-debian-jessie-alip-20151106-31.emmc.img.gz gunzip hikey-*
To flash the bootloader the recovery mode is required. For more information about the recovery mode, how to enable and use, please check https://github.com/96boards/documentation/wiki/Reference-Bootloader-Hikey#enabling-recovery-mode
On recovery mode, flash the bootloader with the following command:
sudo python hisi-idt.py --img1=l-loader.bin -d /dev/ttyUSB0 sudo fastboot flash ptable ptable-linux.img sudo fastboot flash fastboot fip.bin
ttyUSB0 to the right interface name that gets exported to your host system.
Make sure to reboot the board after updating the partition table (
ptable-linux.img), otherwise flashing the rootfs might fail.
Boot and Rootfs
Fastboot is required to flash both the boot and rootfs images.
Due bug 117, it’s recommended to flash both the boot and rootfs images via recovery mode (after running
Flashing boot and rootfs:
sudo fastboot flash boot hikey-boot-linux-20151106-31.uefi.img sudo fastboot flash system hikey-rootfs-debian-jessie-alip-20151106-31.emmc.img
Once flashed, make sure recovery mode is not enabled (pin3-pin4 on J15), then just reboot the board and enjoy :-)
For known issues and more information about this release, please check https://github.com/96boards/documentation/wiki/ReferenceSoftware